flyline cleaning
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bassbug
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  3:06:04 PM  Show Profile
what is the best thing to use for cleaning flyline?

Larvae
Frequent Contributor

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  3:29:43 PM  Show Profile
WARM WATER IN THE SINK WITH A VERY LITTLE DISH SOAP. ON THE FLY, A WARM WET NAPKIN. RUN YOUR LINE THROUGH IT. I'M SURE THAT IF YOU DO A SEARCH THERE IS A LONG THREAD ABOUT IT. DATE SHOULD BE THIS TIME LAST YEAR. SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS.

Go to Top of Page

el Gordito
Frequent Contributor

543 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  6:23:50 PM  Show Profile
On any of the new technology slick lines such Orvis Wonderline, Cortland 555, Scientific Anglers AST, Wulff, Rio, etc NEVER use an abrasive pad or line dressing. Warm water and very dilute soap with a clear rinse and then wipe the full length dry with a soft paper towel, terry towel, or cotton T shirt.

Never use Armorall or any other automotive cleaning product on any fly line no matter who tells you it works!!

If you have older lines that don't have the new special slick coatings such as Cortland 444 or 333 or on older model lower cost line you found in a discount bin or on Ebay, wash in soap and water, use a 3M SciAngler abrasive pad (Walmart sells them), wipe dry with a soft cloth and apply a light coat of line dressing like the 3m SciAngler or many others from Orvis, Bean, wherever... on a floating line or the floating part of a sink-tip. Don't put line dressing on any part of a line that is supposed to sink.

When in doubt use mild soap and warm, not hot, water and a soft wipe down and you won't wreck any style line.

I have one of those Hangee-Kohler Reely Good Winders and it is a well spent $40 for all the time I save cleaning line and unreeling it for storage off season. Works on loading spin and bait cast reels too, not that I've ever used mine since I began fly fishing.

Go to Top of Page

heron
Frequent Contributor

816 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  8:51:19 PM  Show Profile
el Gordito,

No offense,but I still find rain-x does wonders for my "old" lines.

As far as the new lines go,I have a new advantage line.I used it quite hard this past season.Ive tried the warm water mild soap technique,yeah it cleans the grime off.But I dont feel it resurrects the slickness to the point its claimed to.Just my opinion.

Heron
Go to Top of Page

Bear Coat
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  01:02:49 AM  Show Profile
For my two cents worth, I have heard that Woolite works good as a mild soap.

"For every day you fish, you live another day."
Go to Top of Page

cap
Frequent Contributor

423 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  08:33:36 AM  Show Profile
From FAOL....Feb 16th

"My God man, don't use that stuff!" As if coming down from a mountain top on tablets, the word rebounded among our ranks like a well struck five cushion shot. "It will leach out the plasticizers, make the line stiff and crack. It will sink!" It seemed that everyone new to fly-fishing discovered some new juice, WD-40, Rain-X, Armour-All, and was soon warned of the dire results of such unwiseness. That "it's use with abandon would surely result in ruination of his gear." Old timers had the information and we tried to warn the youngsters. But, alas, it seems the word got out. Today, guys are using all manner of products, only a very few actually designed for fly lines and defending them to the death.

I have most recently been in contact with the designer of fly lines for a well respected company. In a nut shell he told me that, "for the most part, all those products will help make the lines a bit more slick, at least for a little while. Then they will wash off. The good part though is, none of them will cause any permanent damage." There are even some lines today which claim that you need nothing at all to treat them, clean them yes, but nothing is needed for a dressing afterwards. He said, "these products on the market today will not harm them at all."

Go to Top of Page

heron
Frequent Contributor

816 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  09:03:38 AM  Show Profile
Hey Cap,

Yup Ive surely used the armorall,personally Ive seen no side affects from it.But its short lived.With the rainx I find myself using it about every 8/10th outing.I wouldnt be suprised to hear it comes from the same plant as watershed.

Im not forcing it on anyone,it just cuts it for me.

Here's how I ruin a line,

A) I often step on mine in the boat,grinding the dirt in.This sand comes from the boat launch then gets deposited from my boots to the boat floor.

B)Ive burnt them on occasion,with a butt hanging from my mouth.Yeah I know.

C)In the heat of the rise I often move to more likely targets,resulting in getting my front taper chewed off in the prop.

D)Stripping line off my reel dragging it across the frame,that surely doesnt help.

Heron
Go to Top of Page

cap
Frequent Contributor

423 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  11:15:41 AM  Show Profile
Yah Brah...

I get to stripping line and every so often it gets caught in the reel, so I do what any good old bull in a china shop would do and rather than delicately see what the hang up is I just give a good yank and snap!

I'm probably the only guy in the world that has fly lines held together in the middle with barrel knots...makes for interesting shooting.....

Some fret and argue the merits of nail knots over needle nail knots over loops because they potentially get caught in the guides! That's nothing compared to the knots in the MIDDLE of a few of my lines....

Never stopped from catching any fish....

Go to Top of Page

Tim D
Frequent Contributor

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  12:51:17 PM  Show Profile
El Gordito,

Why shouldn't you use fly line dressing on the new lines? I have switched to the Orvis Wonderlines and applied dressing, have I been ruining the lines?

Tim D

Go to Top of Page

Andre

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  5:37:56 PM  Show Profile
I always use soap and water. BTW, sometimes the simplest answers are right in front of us. for stretching line I always used trees and ties my line to them. the other day I looked at my trailer hitch and went humh. I let out 40 ft of line put it around the hitch and held 20 ft in each and stretched. Piece of cake. I will now stretch my lines more often.

Andre
Go to Top of Page

hawk
Frequent Contributor

413 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  10:43:42 PM  Show Profile
i gave up the dish detergent and the armorall is ok for maybe a days worth of fishing with me then the line water logs and sinks like a slow intermediate,seems the same no matter what i do,i even let the line sit in a dish of armorall and then dry for 2 weeks,still sank in the soup after i wiped it down and fished all day.

i do have some rain-x spray tho for the car so i am goin ta try that on one line i have and see what gives.

ohhhhh yeah speakin of rain-x i thought i would do the tv screen when i came up with it,so i grab the paper napkin and dosed it with rain-x to get the 6 months of dust of the tv,bad move guys.the static jumped from teh television screen to the napkin loaded with rain-x and went FOOOOOOMP!!! in my hands in a not cool ball of flame scarin me ta damn near a stroke.so like a fool im stomping the dang fool thing out with my foot of course makin more of a mess than i wanted.car windshields and lines yes to rain-x.tvs and monitors big nono...

Go to Top of Page

Mike Holt
Administrator

USA
3631 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  10:57:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Holt's Homepage
TimD rest easy you haven’t ruined your line by treating it. Treatment with silicone type cleaners or other line cleaners won’t hurt the Wonderlines; what it does though is form an envelope of cleaner around the fly line that isn’t as slick as an clean Wonderline.

When you first treat a dirty Wonderline with a conventional line cleaner it may indeed cast and float better then it did dirty. It should, clean floats better than dirty no matter what you use to clean it.

What it won’t do is shoot as well as it did or would if it had been cleaned well with soap and water. The soap and water works well but if you let your line get real dirty before you clean it sometimes you can’t get all the dirt and grime off. No matter how slick a line is dirt and micro-organisms can eventually grab hold. What do you do about that?

Well, Orvis has stuck hard to the “just use warm soap and water” since the introduction of Wonderline but those who make long extended back county or remote trips have reminded Orvis that warm soap and water are a remote camp luxury not to be squandered on fly lines. So they put the guys who developed the Wonderline impregnation method to work on it. They have come up with a cleaner for Wonderlines – it will be available in May.

TimD - I'd just start using the new cleaner and it will probably remove the cleaner you have been using. My understanding it that this new cleaner has great cleaning properties and contains a little of the joy juice that makes the Wonderline a wonder.

Go to Top of Page

don lynch

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  2:47:02 PM  Show Profile
hawk you lead a dangerous life !! like 007

Go to Top of Page

whip-it
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2004 :  5:01:10 PM  Show Profile
Good topic, I just wish I would have read it a year ago!When El gordito says don't coat a sinking line he knows what he is talking about.I did this to mine and turned a perfectly good rateII sinking line into a nice floating line! It did cast better though!
Scott

Scott
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Fly Fishing Only Forums © 2002 Fly Fishing Only Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05