Fly Fishing Questions, Stories & Other Stuff
 Bamboo Fly Rod
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fish_King_7

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2005 :  10:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Fish_King_7 an AOL message
Hey guys, I came across a fly rod for sale, and i dont really know much about bamboo. Is this rod a good one? worth the 30bucks he offered?

Bamboo Fly Rod 8' aquired from estate sale in original box model RFK-1. As far as I can tell it's in very good condition, hardly looks used. The label is in excellent shape marked Champion. The wooden rod box has what look to be original flies in the cork dividers. The fly rod box is in very good condition. The rod is a three piece rod each measuring 33".

Seems like a great find to me!

Bamboo Fly Rod 8' aquired from estate sale in original box model RFK-1. As far as I can tell it's in very good condition, hardly looks used. The label is in excellent shape marked Champion. The wooden rod box has what look to be original flies in the cork dividers. The fly rod box is in very good condition. The rod is a three piece rod each measuring 33".

Seems like a great find to me!

~Eat,Sleep,Fish~

Bill Blake
Frequent Contributor

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2005 :  10:45:38 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure Mike will appreciate us talking about this on his site, but for thirty bucks I'd take a risk on a bamboo rod (at least one that looks to be in good shape). It doesn't look like crap to me, but what would I know? You could always turn around and sell it to me for $35 if you're not happy with it.

Edited by - Bill Blake on 02/15/2005 10:48:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

ronmcq59
Contributor

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  12:54:58 AM  Show Profile
Heck the box is worth 35 bucks! The rod is probably a Monague or some common manufactered rod but it's worth the money.

Quality Flies for Quality Fishing
Go to Top of Page

dryflie
Frequent Contributor

462 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  02:49:55 AM  Show Profile
Take the question to a Bamboo board like Clark's and ask some of the experts there. See http://p205.ezboard.com/bclarksclassicflyrodforum

BTW you wish it was a Montague (but it isn't). They sell for a lot more than $30 even in poor shape.

Al

T3R11
Go to Top of Page

Fish_King_7

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  08:26:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Fish_King_7 an AOL message
Actually, like i said i know nohing, but i found a montague for 30 bucks also, but it wasnt in as nice of condition, are these good rods?

Caleb

~Eat,Sleep,Fish~
Go to Top of Page

Ken Allen
Frequent Contributor

724 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  08:44:04 AM  Show Profile
I once owned a fly rod that looked identical to the one in the photo, and the box it came in also looked exactly the same. The compartments were for a silk fly line, catgut leaders, reel, a fly selection that included the old-fashioned ones such as a McGinty, Silver Doctor, Professor, etc.

The rod was hollow...believe it or not. So, instead of the bamboo being made from three-sided strips, the construction was from six, thin, four-sided strips. I did not realize the rod was hollow until breaking it...a very long story.

A jillion of these hollow rods were built and sold in the 1950s -- a product from Japan. As far as I know, American manufacturers sold some of these rods, too.

At the time, you could also buy whale-bone rods from Japan, sweet-casting, slate colored rods, but talk about being politically incorrect.
Go to Top of Page

Matt
Frequent Contributor

142 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  08:49:44 AM  Show Profile
I'm not an expert, but from what I know, that rod is probably Japanese, and about fifty years old, and not a very good fishing tool. I've never cast one, but boo people don't give these rods a second sniff. That being said, it's only thirty five bucks, and the box is kind of neat. Just don't expect much. (The usual advice is that any low-grade cane is good for staking tomatoes only, or as John Gierach once wrote, "just as useless today as it was when it was first made" (or something like that).

For about three times the money, you can pick up a blue-collar cane rod that casts well.

Cheers,
Matt

Go to Top of Page

dryflie
Frequent Contributor

462 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  09:10:30 AM  Show Profile
Caleb, if you found a Montague for $30 buy that rod instead, at least it's an American rod and decent quality. Try restoring it, the process is pretty simple and a good way to start learning about rod repair and rebuilding.

Al

T3R11
Go to Top of Page

Streamer
Big Fish in a Small Pond

USA
1980 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  09:44:50 AM  Show Profile
Al's right, Caleb...

If you want to get into rod-making, this is a real good place to start. You probably can't get a decent blank for that money. I think you remember seeing his (dryflie's) reconditioned Montague at the Fairfield Superboo. When you're done working on it, you could have a really fine rod that you finished and wrapped with your own hands.

Streamer
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Fly Fishing Only Forums © 2002 Fly Fishing Only Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.21 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05